Reserve Event Space
Park Use PermitA Park Use Permit Application Form (PDF) is required for any organized activity using park space that requires space or special set up beyond a typical facility rental, such as a shelter or a field.
If the event meets any of the following criteria, it will require a Special Event Permit (PDF) as defined in Chapter 14 of the Code of James City County.
- Held in an open space
- Held within a public or private road right-of-way (such as a parade or road race)
- Musical or entertainment festival
- Not held in a “Permanent Installation*”
- Open to the public
- Outdoor gathering with 200 or more attendees
For information on renting athletic fields at the James City County Recreation Center or the Warhill Sports Complex, please call 757-259-5360.
Field/Court Rental Fees
- Athletic Field (2-hour minimum) - $25/hour for residents; $35/hour for nonresidents
- Light Fee (per field) - $20/hour for both residents and nonresidents
Forms & Information
A tournament is defined as any of the following:
- The use of 4 or more fields for more than 4 hours at any location or combination of locations
- Less than four 4 at one location, but exceeds 200 participants
- Two or more baseball/softball fields for more than 4 hours
Rental Area and Equipment
We have shelters with capacities from 50-150. Shelters include picnic tables and grills with some shelters located next to playgrounds. Most have convenient access to restrooms, electricity and lighting. Shelters are available year-round and can be reserved up to 1 year in advance. Between March 1 and Oct. 31, reservations times are 9 a.m.-2 p.m., 3-8 p.m. or all day 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Fees range from $50-$125.
Between Nov. 1 and Feb. 28, shelters are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are not accepted during this period.
Reservations are confined to immediate shelter area. Use of tents, inflatables, etc. will require a Park Use Permit (PDF). Pool access is not included in the shelter rental.
Making a Reservation To reserve a picnic shelter, please complete the Shelter Reservation Form (PDF).
Please mail the completed form and payment to :
Parks and Recreation Facility Request
James City County Recreation Center
5301 Longhill Road
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Or hand deliver form and payment to:
- Freedom Park
- James City County Recreation Center
- Chickahominy Riverfront Park
- Satellite Services Building
Shelter reservations can now be made online. To register online you'll need your user name, password and a credit/debit card. To get your user name and password visit or call the James City County Recreation Center at 757-259-4200.