Community Park Improvement
The James City County department of Parks & Recreation created the Adopt-A-Park program in response to citizens requesting a role in the beautification and care of our public areas. Through this program, citizens support the department in continuing efforts to make County parks, trails and greenways safe and attractive while helping lower maintenance and equipment costs. With your help, we can maintain the high standards you expect in your parks.
- Adoption promotes awareness of civic responsibility for our youth
- Builds price in the community
- Helps protect our natural resources
- Makes our parks more attractive
- Saves the County money in supplies and staff
- Provides free advertising for a business or a group through signage at the adopted site
Who Can Adopt?
Anyone can adopt a park, playground, trail or flower bed. Your group, business, club or community association can become involved and publicly recognized as an adopter.
How Do I Adopt?
Any group interested in adopting a portion of a park, an entire park, a trail or a flower bed for a minimum of 1 year can call 757-259-5403 for more information.
- Staff is available to discuss the Adopt-A-Park program Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. To get started, contact the Volunteer & Resource Coordinator at 757-259-5403 or email us.
- Determine tasks your group can perform
- Complete the adoption agreement
- Develop a written plan for special projects or maintenance with the program coordinator
- Dig in!
What You Can Do
- Clean up. Help by putting trash in its place and increase recycling efforts.
- Plant flowers and trees. Plant once a year or as often as you wish. Lend a hand by planting flowers in your adopted park.
- Raise funds. Parks always need new playground equipment, lighting, fitness trails, sidewalks and more. Your group can lead fundraising drives for your local park project.
- Provide park security. Lend us your eyes and years. If you see signs of vandalism in a County park, we need to know. Please call 757-259-5360.
- Report maintenance problems. Broken playground equipment? Lights out? Fallen trees? Keep your eyes open for safety hazards and report them to ensure speedy repair.
Help Keep James City County Beautiful
Individuals, organizations and businesses may adopt a designated area within the county for a period lasting at least one year. Throughout that time, group members come together to keep their spot clean, litter free and beautiful. Complete the Adopt-A-Spot Application Agreement online to participate in the Adopt-A-Spot program and give back to the community and environment. Call 757-259-5375 or email us for more information.
Complete our Adopt-A-Spot Activity Report Form to submit your cleanup form online.