Public Speaker Policies
Times to Speak
The Board of Supervisors hold their meetings the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. The first monthly meeting begins at 5 p.m. at which time the Board conducts Public Comment, Public Hearings, and Board Considerations. The second meeting of the month starts at 1 p.m. at which time the Board conducts regular business, including Presentations, Board Discussions, Consent Calendar Items, and Board Considerations. There is no public comment section during the business meeting.
Public Comment Speaker Rules
Speaker rules for Public Comment are as follows:
- Speakers should fill out a prior to the Board meeting. Speaker forms are available in the Board Room and online.
- Speakers are allowed 5 minutes and may speak once during Public Comment.
- Priority will be given to those who have submitted a form and indicated they are speaking to an agenda item or topic that is not subject to a public hearing.
Public Hearing Speaker Rules
Speaker rules for Public Hearings are as follows:
- Speakers should fill out a prior to the Board meeting.
- Speakers are allowed five minutes and may speak once during the Public Hearing.
- A group with a designated spokesperson who wishes to address the Board must notify the Deputy Clerk by 2 p.m. the day of the scheduled public hearing by email or by phone at 757-253-6609.
- The chosen spokesperson representing a group* is permitted up to 15 minutes to speak.
- The applicant or his/her representative is allowed 15 minutes to speak during the Public Hearing.
Other speaker rules concerning civility and guidelines may be found on individual speaker forms and online.
Connect with James City County! Find us online and on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.