Public Speaker Policies
Times to Speak
The Board of Supervisors hold their meetings the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. The first monthly meeting begins at 5 p.m. at which time the Board conducts County business including public hearings, Consent Calendar, Board Considerations and various public presentations. There is a public comment section at the beginning of that meeting. The second meeting of the month starts at 4 p.m. at which time the Board will hold their monthly work session. There is no public comment section during the work session.
Public Comment Speaker Rules
Speaker rules for Public Comment are as follows:
- Speakers should fill out a prior to the Board meeting. Speaker forms are available in the Board Room and online.
- Speakers are allowed 5 minutes and may speak once during Public Comment.
- Priority will be given to those who have submitted a form and indicated they are speaking to an agenda item or topic that is not subject to a public hearing.
- Failure to fully complete a speaker's form will place that speaker at the end of the second Public Comment period.
Public Hearing Speaker Rules
Speaker rules for Public Hearings are as follows:
- Speakers should fill out a prior to the Board meeting.
- Speakers are allowed five minutes and may speak once during the Public Hearing.
- A group with a designated spokesperson who wishes to address the Board must notify the Secretary to the Board by 2 p.m. the day of the scheduled public hearing by email or by phone at 757-253-6609.
- The group spokesperson is permitted up to 15 minutes to speak.
- The applicant or his/her representative is allowed 15 minutes to speak during the Public Hearing.
Connect with James City County! Find us online and on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.